Triangle X Ranch

Triangle X Ranch
John Butcher riding back to the Triangle X Ranch.

About Me

I fell in love with Jackson Hole when first introduced to the area by the Butcher family. When I decided to spend the summer of '11 out here in JH, a former Pingry athlete, Katie Occhipinti, suggested I blog the adventure. I had no idea what a blog was but Katie O set the whole thing up and got me on my way. Last summer was a tremendous experience. The blog details all the great fun I shared with friends from June '11 - Oct. '11. Even before I left to head back to SRQ, I knew I wanted more of JH. I am now back in JH for "Adventure Summer Round Two!" Many friends have encouraged me to continue the blog this summer ...... so here we go! I arrived to town on June 12th and immediately felt at home. I am looking forward to another summer of hiking, biking and visits from friends. I once again look forward to sharing this experience with all of my friends who have planned to visit me out here. I also look forward to sharing the experience with my friends who follow this blog. Enjoy the pictures and the adventure. Happy summer to everyone!

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Fire Festival in town and Taste of Jackson in Teton Villiage with Elaine

In town square for Fire Festival
After my hike to Jackson Peak, I headed back to the house to grab Elaine and head to town.  While I was off hiking Jackson Peak, Elaine was most content at the house spending the day reading "50 Shades of Grey."  I returned to the house at around 4:30 and pulled Elaine away from the book and off to town we went to see what we could find.

Fire Festival in town square
(notice red ball decoration)
We noticed that the town square was blocked off and there was some type of festival taking place.  As we poked around and asked a few questions, we found out that it was a "Fire Festival" in celebration of mountain culture around the world.

Trigger on his walk about the town square
We enjoyed our walk around the square and the Fire Festival. The best part of having no plan at all and simply meandering around town is the things you might see!




Neither Elaine nor I had ever seen a miniature horse on a leash being walked on the sidewalk, but at the Fire Festival we saw just this site!
Before taking this picture, we asked the owner for permission and were graciously introduced to Trigger!  We were also told that Trigger comes to town often for a bit of a "walk about."


After our visit with Trigger, Elaine and I each enjoyed an ice cream cone as we continued our stroll.  The square was a bit crowded for the festival so an extra police presence was ready.  Elaine and I agreed that neither of us had ever seen such a mixture of the old west and modern technology.  Not sure where else you could see two police women on horses talking on cell phones!

Jackson Hole is ready in case bad guys come to town!

On Thursday, June 21st, Elaine and I participated in the "Taste of Jackson."  This was an event that is held as part of the three day wine auction that is held as a fund raiser for the Grand Teton Music Festival.  I heard about the event from my hiking friend Craig who is so nice to always inform me of the different happenings around town.  The "Taste of Jackson" was held in Teton Village at the Couloir restaurant.  The only way to get to Couloir is by hike (we were not dressed for that) or by a gondola ride.  The organizers of the "Taste of Jackson" did a nice job of kicking off the evening by providing each guest with a glass of champagne for the gondola ride!

With champagne waiting for our gondola ride to the top
 Once at the top of the gondola ride, red carpets and banners greeted us as we entered the event.  There were also a slew of photographers ready to snap away at the beautiful crowd of Jackson, but they somehow failed to take a photo of Elaine and me  .... shocking!



Background music
Most of the restaurants in town participated in the "Taste of Jackson" along side many vineyards from all over the US.  Elaine and I wondered around the event sampling yummy dishes (my favorite was the lamb chop from Snake River Grill) and different wines.  The event took place both inside and outside of Couloir providing beautiful views on a beautiful night.  A band played background music to add further to the fun.  Besides Elaine and I enjoying the food and wine, we loved checking out the "beautiful people" of Jackson and their outfits.

Elaine enjoying a mango margarita popsicle from Trio
















Elaine and I did a bit of stalking this guy.  We gave him our prize for the "most representative Jackson Hole."  We figure he owns the ranch down the street that is for sale for $100 million!  

Shoes of the "seen and be seen" ladies

It was a very fun evening for the two of us.  We drove home as the sun was setting over/behind the Tetons.  Dawn and dusk are the best times to see the wildlife of the valley.  Since neither Elaine and I are awake at dawn, we rely on the dusk hours for wildlife sightings.  We drove home along the Moose Wilson road, which is always a good place for viewing the animals.

View of our ride home along Moose Wilson Rd.  That is an elk in the middle of the photo.

This beaver was getting some work done on that branch




















Beaver friends at work

No comments:

Post a Comment