Triangle X Ranch

Triangle X Ranch
John Butcher riding back to the Triangle X Ranch.

About Me

I fell in love with Jackson Hole when first introduced to the area by the Butcher family. When I decided to spend the summer of '11 out here in JH, a former Pingry athlete, Katie Occhipinti, suggested I blog the adventure. I had no idea what a blog was but Katie O set the whole thing up and got me on my way. Last summer was a tremendous experience. The blog details all the great fun I shared with friends from June '11 - Oct. '11. Even before I left to head back to SRQ, I knew I wanted more of JH. I am now back in JH for "Adventure Summer Round Two!" Many friends have encouraged me to continue the blog this summer ...... so here we go! I arrived to town on June 12th and immediately felt at home. I am looking forward to another summer of hiking, biking and visits from friends. I once again look forward to sharing this experience with all of my friends who have planned to visit me out here. I also look forward to sharing the experience with my friends who follow this blog. Enjoy the pictures and the adventure. Happy summer to everyone!

Friday, June 22, 2012

Wonderful hike to the summit of Jackson Peak

At the summit of Jackson Peak.  Elevation 10,741 feet.  Grand Teton range in background.

On Wednesday, June 20th, I headed out with the hiking group to summit Jackson Peak.  Jackson Peak is one of the closest summits that can be reached from downtown Jackson.  The top of Jackson Peak has an elevation of 10,741 feet.  Once at the summit, there are sweeping views of the Gros Ventre Range and the Grand Teton Range.

The hike is a 9 mile adventure filled with beautiful views.  The group met up around 9:00am and began the journey.  As usual, I always seem to stumble into strange "6 degrees of separation" happenings.  While hiking, new friends Eric and Rani (from Austin, TX) asked me if in my Dallas/Greenhill years I had ever met a friend of theirs named Meredith Small.  I gave a good chuckle and responded that "yes. I did know Meredith quite well, in fact I spent many hours house sitting/baby sitting Meredith and her brother and sister."  At some point of the hike, Eric took a photo of Rani and I making our way up the trail and emailed it to Meredith with the question, "guess who."  I am not sure that Eric actually believed I knew Meredith and her family as well as I do.  Eric seemed surprised when Meredith responded "she practically raised us."

The start of the trail
The trail to the summit is lovely.  Jackson Hole had a mild winter compared to previous years.  This has allowed hikers to get out on the trails earlier this summer season.  The Jackson Peak trail was dry and easy to navigate ....... for the first 6 miles!

At the 6 mile mark, we rounded a bend in the trail and came upon beautiful Goodwin Lake.  A bit crazy to this city girl that there is a large and lovely lake 6 miles up a mountain!

Goodwin Lake







The 6 miles of the trail leading to Goodwin Lake had an elevation gain of only 880 feet.  The challenging part of the hike was from Goodwin Lake to the summit.  From Goodwin Lake to the summit, we had an elevation gain of 1500 feet.  We also found that portions of the trail were covered with snow.  Hiking in the snow is always a bit funny to me!





More snow hiking
                                                                           
Snow on the trail after Goodwin Lake
























After 3 hours of hiking, we reached the summit of Jackson Peak.  The views made the steep hike worth it!  At the summit, the group took a rest and enjoyed lunch. 

Rani, Craig and Carol enjoying the rest at the summit




Lunch at the summit

The "group" at the summit!  From left to right, top to bottom - Eric in maroon (winters in Austin), Alan in black (full time JH), Rani in green hoody (winters in Austin, married to Eric), Andy in royal blue (winters in Tucson, married to Cami), Craig in white hat and black vest (hike leader, full time JH, married to Carol), Bob in white hat and squatting (full time JH and 80 years old!), Cami in white hat and black jacket (winters in Tucson and married to Andy), Carol in white hat and white jacket (full time JH and married to Craig), Gaucho with four paws and black fur (winters in Tucson and child of Andy and Cami)


Head back down from the summit


After a nice break at the summit, we headed back down.  Hiking down in snow is the toughest part of any hike for me.  Since I have no ski experience, I provide comic relief for the rest of the group as I slip, slide and fall in the snow.  Carol is convinced that my falling is just to allow me to have fun in the snow.  I am going to allow her to believe this instead of telling her I am simply that unbalanced on snow!




With Rani (Meredith Small's friend) at  the summit

With Carol and Cami near the end of our hike
                

1 comment:

  1. Love the fact that you are there for 2 days, already back in with your "hiking group" and are already up to 10,000 feet. I'm tired just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete