Triangle X Ranch

Triangle X Ranch
John Butcher riding back to the Triangle X Ranch.

About Me

I fell in love with Jackson Hole when first introduced to the area by the Butcher family. When I decided to spend the summer of '11 out here in JH, a former Pingry athlete, Katie Occhipinti, suggested I blog the adventure. I had no idea what a blog was but Katie O set the whole thing up and got me on my way. Last summer was a tremendous experience. The blog details all the great fun I shared with friends from June '11 - Oct. '11. Even before I left to head back to SRQ, I knew I wanted more of JH. I am now back in JH for "Adventure Summer Round Two!" Many friends have encouraged me to continue the blog this summer ...... so here we go! I arrived to town on June 12th and immediately felt at home. I am looking forward to another summer of hiking, biking and visits from friends. I once again look forward to sharing this experience with all of my friends who have planned to visit me out here. I also look forward to sharing the experience with my friends who follow this blog. Enjoy the pictures and the adventure. Happy summer to everyone!

Friday, September 2, 2011

Fly Fishing in Idaho

Fly Fishing with "Captain" Dave on Teton River in Idaho

On Thursday afternoon, Vicky Johnson and I headed out on our first ever fly fishing trip.  It was Vicky's idea to head out on this fishing adventure.  When Vicky first brought up the idea of a fly fishing adventure, I attempted to book a Triangle X fishing guide to take Vicky and I out to the river.  The Triangle X guides were booked solid so no trip could be planned.  On Monday, Vicky and I were having lunch together in town and my tennis friend Susie joined us.  Vicky and I were talking about our fishing trip desire and the fact that the Triangle X guides were booked solid.  Susie volunteered her husband Dave to take us out for our fishing adventure.  Dave is the Head Tennis Pro at Teton Springs Resort and I had previously met him while playing mixed doubles with he and Susie.

Creekside Deli for great sandwiches
Dave went above and beyond in his taking Vicky and me out on the river.  He had to teach us quickly, because neither Vicky nor I had ever been fly fishing before.  As a good southern lady, I made sure to bring food and beer for Dave.  Before driving over the Teton Pass, I stopped at the Creekside Deli in Jackson to pick up a few provisions.







Vicky and I met up with Dave at his office in Driggs, Idaho.  He set us up on the lawn and had us practice casting for 30 minutes to help us feel the rhythm.  Dave was smart enough to make sure our practice fly casting took place without hooks!


Once we arrived at the Teton River, Dave launched the boat and we began our fishing float.  Dave tied up special hooks and flies for both Vicky and me.  He educated us in the secrets of Idaho fly fishing and our trip began.










Vicky with her fishing rod.  She was a casting pro!
The fishing was fun and the scenery was spectacular.  We got on the river around 6:00pm and fished/floated until close to 9:00pm.  We enjoyed great views of the Idaho side of the Tetons.  As the sun set, beautiful colors crossed the sky and the temperatures dropped quickly.











We also saw interesting things along the way!  Vicky continually received compliments from "Captain" Dave on her casting skill.  She came sooooooo close to catching 3 fish.


A real pro
These guys were hoping we would catch a lot of fish and give up beef !




















View from the Idaho side of the sun setting behind the Tetons

No comments:

Post a Comment