Triangle X Ranch

Triangle X Ranch
John Butcher riding back to the Triangle X Ranch.

About Me

I fell in love with Jackson Hole when first introduced to the area by the Butcher family. When I decided to spend the summer of '11 out here in JH, a former Pingry athlete, Katie Occhipinti, suggested I blog the adventure. I had no idea what a blog was but Katie O set the whole thing up and got me on my way. Last summer was a tremendous experience. The blog details all the great fun I shared with friends from June '11 - Oct. '11. Even before I left to head back to SRQ, I knew I wanted more of JH. I am now back in JH for "Adventure Summer Round Two!" Many friends have encouraged me to continue the blog this summer ...... so here we go! I arrived to town on June 12th and immediately felt at home. I am looking forward to another summer of hiking, biking and visits from friends. I once again look forward to sharing this experience with all of my friends who have planned to visit me out here. I also look forward to sharing the experience with my friends who follow this blog. Enjoy the pictures and the adventure. Happy summer to everyone!

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Mackinac Island

Last June while at Triangle X with the Butcher family, a conversation took place regarding whether or not we would return to the ranch this summer.  The Butcher's had vacationed at the ranch for close to 30 years and they decided that the summer of 2010 would be their last.  While sitting on the porch of their cabin and having this conversation, it was also decided that Mackinac Island would be a great place for us to visit in the summer of 2011.  During our conversation, we took the time to figure out the best dates possible to visit  Makinac Island.  For us, that meant a time of year when children were back in school and the heat of summer had passed.

On September 7th, eight of us met on Mackinac Island for a lovely 4 days in one of the most quaint places I have ever visited.  The traveling group consisted of John and Janis Butcher from San Diego.  I first met John and Janis in 1992 when I began my years at LaJolla Country Day.  Meredith Butcher and her girlfriend Erika Midkiff joined us from their home in Birmingham, Alabama.  I coached Meredith for four years of high school basketball at LJCD.  John and Barbara Neiswender also came along for the fun.  John was my boss for 13 years at both LJCD and Pingry.  John and Barbara traveled from their home in Pinehurst, NC.  My best friend Elaine Velvin rounded out the group of eight.  Elaine and I met in 1986 at the Greenhill School in Dallas, Texas.  During that year, I had the wonderful coaching assignment of Middle School Cheerleading Coach and Elaine was the Varsity Cheerleading Coach!  We have both come a long way since then!

Mackinac Island is a beautiful island off the coast of Michigan.  It is a great place but not an easy place to travel to.  We all had to fly to Detroit and then change planes to Pellston, MI.  At Pellston, we took a 20 minute shuttle ride to the ferry dock.  The ferry transported us across the water and back in time to Mackinac Island.

Ferry Ride








Elaine and me arriving on Mackinac Island
Mackinac Island does not allow cars on the island.  The island looks like it belongs back in the late 1800's.  There are only 500 full time residents and the island shuts down in the winter.  In the 1820's, it became a resort location and has stayed that way ever since.  The group originally planned to stay at The Grand Hotel but problems arose when we attempted to make our reservation and we choose to stay at the Iroquois Hotel instead.  In 1979, Christopher Reeves and Jane Seymor starred in the movie "Somewhere In Time" which was filmed at The Grand Hotel and around Mackinac Island.  It is because of this movie that I always wanted to visit Mackinac Island.

Front of Iroquois Hotel

Back view of Iroquois Hotel













One of the largest attractions on Mackinac Island is Fort Mackinac.  Fort Mackinac was originally built by the British a a means of protecting the fur trade and the taxes they made from the fur trade.

Firing of the cannons at Fort Mackinac























View from Fort Mackinac
The best way of getting around Mackinac Island is by horse and buggy.  At the suggestion of John Butcher (and a wonderful suggestion it was) our group of eight set out on a buggy tour of the island.  Our tour guide Tony had no idea what he was in for with the eight of us, but he did a great job of educating us on the history and fun facts of the island.

Heading out on our buggy tour with Tour Guide Tony

Sites from the buggy tour


Sites from buggy tour

















Bike riding around the island is also another favorite for all visitors.  The island is 8 miles round and there are bike rental places on every corner.  The weather was beautiful and this made for a wonderful ride for me, Meredith and Erika.

The start of our bike ride
The Arch - a site we saw on our bike ride



Erika, Meredith and me at the top of The Arch













Our time on Mackinac was great fun.  Being with old friends was great fun.  We were lucky to have the chance to be together and the weather was perfect.  Good times were had by all and much laughter was shared!

Happy Hour on the patio at the Iroquois Hotel
Outside of a church "stalking a wedding"




























The Grand Hotel
After dinner at The Grand Hotel
Kites flying at the end of Main Street



No comments:

Post a Comment