Triangle X Ranch

Triangle X Ranch
John Butcher riding back to the Triangle X Ranch.

About Me

I fell in love with Jackson Hole when first introduced to the area by the Butcher family. When I decided to spend the summer of '11 out here in JH, a former Pingry athlete, Katie Occhipinti, suggested I blog the adventure. I had no idea what a blog was but Katie O set the whole thing up and got me on my way. Last summer was a tremendous experience. The blog details all the great fun I shared with friends from June '11 - Oct. '11. Even before I left to head back to SRQ, I knew I wanted more of JH. I am now back in JH for "Adventure Summer Round Two!" Many friends have encouraged me to continue the blog this summer ...... so here we go! I arrived to town on June 12th and immediately felt at home. I am looking forward to another summer of hiking, biking and visits from friends. I once again look forward to sharing this experience with all of my friends who have planned to visit me out here. I also look forward to sharing the experience with my friends who follow this blog. Enjoy the pictures and the adventure. Happy summer to everyone!

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Stacy and Tricia are in Jackson Hole

My sister Stacy and her best friend from college (Ole Miss) are in town for a visit.  It is great having them here and showing them around Jackson Hole.  Stacy and Tricia arrived late on Friday night and we made sure to wake up early on Saturday to drive north for a scenic cruise on Jackson Lake.  Our first stop was at Colter Bay where we began our scenic cruise from the marina.

Colter Bay and Mount Moran

Our scenic cruise began at 10:30am when we boarded our little boat for a 90 minute trip.  Our Captain's name was Brent and he did a wonderful job of navigating us around Jackson Lake so that we got an up close and personal look at Mount Moran and the Teton mountain range.  Joining us on the scenic cruise was tour guide "Les" who spoke to us the entire 90 minutes about the historical and geological aspects of the area.

Captain Brent

Tour Guide Les










Mount Moran and Jackson Lake
In Grand Teton National Park

After a nice tour of Jackson Lake, we headed back to Jackson and did just a bit of shopping before we met up with our 4:00 "Eco Tour".

Stacy shopping in town at the Mangy Moose



Our tour guide's name was Sara.  The purpose of the "Eco Tour" was  for us to find wildlife in the area.  Sara also educated us with all types of ecological facts, figures and history about the Jackson area.  Tricia arrived in Jackson Hole with the mission of seeing a bear.  I have been doing everything in my limited power to have a bear show up for Tricia, but so far we have struck out on this "bear mission."  Stacy and Tricia are planning on spending two days in Yellowstone later this week and I keep telling Tricia that Yellowstone will be her best place for seeing a bear.  I sure hope that I am right.




On Sunday, we began our day with a lazy morning and then we headed to town for a bit of a stroll and some shopping.  It was another beautiful day in Jackson and we all enjoyed the lovely fall weather.

Tricia and Stacy shopping on the town square

After our shopping stroll around the town square, we headed over the Teton Pass into Idaho to taste the world famous huckelberry shake at the Victor Emporium!  I have heard great things about the emporium and especially about the huckelberry shake since my arrival here in Jackson in June.  We were not disappointed in the emporium or the huckelberry shake at all!  If you ever find yourself in Victor, Idaho you need to stop by the emporium, sit up at the bar and just enjoy!




Having fun at the Emporium
More fun at the Emporium

The making of our huckelberry shakes
Enjoying our huckelberry shakes

After our "shake brake" we headed back to Jackson to rest up a bit before we enjoyed a great dinner at Jenny Lake Lodge.  Jenny Lake Lodge was named for a Shoshone woman who was married to the legendary trapper "Beaver Dick" Leigh.  Jenny, Beaver Dick and their three children camped here in 1872 while Beaver Dick guided the first exploring party in the area.  They so impressed the members of the survey party that Leigh and Jenny Lakes were named for them.  Four years later the Christmas season of 1876 found Beaver Dick trying desperately to nurse his beloved Jenny and their six children through the dreaded smallpox.  He lost them all.  In 1922 bachelor cowboy Tony Grace chose the land where Jenny Lake Lodge now stands as the setting for his small guest ranch.  By 1930, the ranch grew to a five cabin operation.  At this time, Tony sold the ranch to a company owned by John D. Rockefeller Jr.  Rockefeller was buying up land on the valley floor to add to the small Grand Teton National Park which had been formed in 1929.


Before dinner at Jackson Lake Lodge



No comments:

Post a Comment