Triangle X Ranch

Triangle X Ranch
John Butcher riding back to the Triangle X Ranch.

About Me

I fell in love with Jackson Hole when first introduced to the area by the Butcher family. When I decided to spend the summer of '11 out here in JH, a former Pingry athlete, Katie Occhipinti, suggested I blog the adventure. I had no idea what a blog was but Katie O set the whole thing up and got me on my way. Last summer was a tremendous experience. The blog details all the great fun I shared with friends from June '11 - Oct. '11. Even before I left to head back to SRQ, I knew I wanted more of JH. I am now back in JH for "Adventure Summer Round Two!" Many friends have encouraged me to continue the blog this summer ...... so here we go! I arrived to town on June 12th and immediately felt at home. I am looking forward to another summer of hiking, biking and visits from friends. I once again look forward to sharing this experience with all of my friends who have planned to visit me out here. I also look forward to sharing the experience with my friends who follow this blog. Enjoy the pictures and the adventure. Happy summer to everyone!

Friday, July 6, 2012

Coal Creek Hike to Phillips Canyon

Thursday June 5th was an early start for me as I joined up with the hiking group for another wonderful outing lead by Craig.  The hike of the day was the Coal Creek hike to Phillips Canyon.  I am not really sure how many miles we covered, but we were moving up, over and down for close to 5 hours.  Unlike the weather on our other hiking days, this day was a cloudy day in the Jackson area with cool temperatures.

Cloudy morning view as we began our Coal Creek hike


The trail begins with the usual up hill climb and we even found ourselves crossing a log bridge spanning Coal Creek.  This hike has a well worn trail and travels through fir forest and luxuriant green slopes.
More view on the hike up
















After a steady hike up on a clearly marked trail, the hike entered a boulder field.  Crossing a boulder field is always a challenge.  The boulder fields provide quite a different view than the trail we hiked up.  Both views are incredible but very different.  I followed Craig and Randy across the boulder field.  Both Craig and Randy were quick and sure footed.  I was not nearly as quick or sure footed but I did make it across the boulder field without blood shed or injury.  I view this as an accomplishment!

Craig (white shirt) and Randy (blue shirt) leading the way up and over the boulder field

Leader Craig looking my way to make sure I had not killed myself and providing encouragement to keep climbing


View from the top of the boulder field


I was very happy to reach the top of the boulder field.  The view from the top was beautiful.  The bad news was that I now needed to continue to follow my fearless leader (Craig) down the boulder field to reach flat land.  Going up a boulder field is not easy, but going down makes the up feel like a piece of cake.

Randy and Craig heading down the boulder field

After surviving the boulder field, the group made our way back to a well marked trail that lead to beautiful green meadows with wonderful views.  After the strenuous reality of crossing the boulder field, the walk across the meadow was an easy and pleasant stroll.

Eric taking in the view

After the boulder field.  An easy walk across the meadow.  Craig and Joyce in front talking flowers.

Both Craig and Joyce are very knowledgeable in the flowers of the area.  Now that the weather is warmer and the snow at the higher altitudes is melting, the flowers are beginning to come out.  On all of our hikes, Craig is quick to point out the various types of flowers.  Joyce joined the group on this hike and I soon learned she was another flower expert in the group.  She and Craig consistently pointed out and named a variety of the flowers we saw on the hike.  They did not always agree on certain names of flowers and this later provided a bit of humor on the trail.

Eric crossing the meadow.


After crossing the meadow and following the trail downhill, more than two hours had passed and it was time for a rest and some lunch.  The best part of our hiking lunch breaks is definitely the views that surround my lunch table on every hike.  I love eating in all the outdoor hot spots in Sarasota, but I must admit that my views from those tables can not compare to the views I have from my hiking lunch tables!

Our lunch table on our Coal Creek to Phillips Canyon hike.
View from our lunch table



Another view from our lunch table





























After lunch, we headed on to Phillips Canyon.  The majority of the end of the hike was downhill through the canyon.  For the most part it was an easy walk with many opportunities for Craig and Joyce to discuss and or disagree on the flowers we came across.  At one point on the trail, Craig ran across another hiking group heading in the opposited direction of our group.  He of course knew one of the hikers.  Craig and Joyce also noticed that a hiker in that group had a book with him detailing the flowers of the area.  At this point and in an effort to see who was correct about the name of a certain flower, Craig and Joyce eagerly borrowed the flower book to find the answer.


Heading out after lunch
Craig, Randy and John displaying some fancy foot work across the creek
Hiking through the Aspens

Craig and Joyce borrowing a flower book from a hiker we ran across so they can figure out who was right about the name of a particular flower.  Randy looks on with amusement.

No comments:

Post a Comment