Triangle X Ranch

Triangle X Ranch
John Butcher riding back to the Triangle X Ranch.

About Me

I fell in love with Jackson Hole when first introduced to the area by the Butcher family. When I decided to spend the summer of '11 out here in JH, a former Pingry athlete, Katie Occhipinti, suggested I blog the adventure. I had no idea what a blog was but Katie O set the whole thing up and got me on my way. Last summer was a tremendous experience. The blog details all the great fun I shared with friends from June '11 - Oct. '11. Even before I left to head back to SRQ, I knew I wanted more of JH. I am now back in JH for "Adventure Summer Round Two!" Many friends have encouraged me to continue the blog this summer ...... so here we go! I arrived to town on June 12th and immediately felt at home. I am looking forward to another summer of hiking, biking and visits from friends. I once again look forward to sharing this experience with all of my friends who have planned to visit me out here. I also look forward to sharing the experience with my friends who follow this blog. Enjoy the pictures and the adventure. Happy summer to everyone!

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Rock Climbing and Rappelling Part II

Craig getting me all set up
Looking over the edge


I listened intensely to all of Craig's instructions and tips.  I trusted Craig's knowledge.  I trusted Craig's equipment.  I trusted Randy at the bottom of the rock in case I fell.  I did everything Craig told me.  I walked to the edge of the rock and placed my toes on the edge.  With heels hanging over the rock, all I had to do was lean back, sit into the ropes and get my legs straightened out so that they were parallel to the ground.  I gave it my best shot, but BAILED OUT!  I simply could not get myself to lean back over a rock and sit parallel to the ground.


Randy quickly headed to the top of the rock.  He volunteered to rappel down so I had a visual example of how to get down the rock.  Randy was awesome.  He easily stepped of the edge, leaned back and stepped his way down the rock.  I was again motivated to rappel down the rock, so to the top of the rock I went again.  Craig geared me up again and Randy was my safety at the base of the rock.  I stepped to the edge and placed my toes in position.  My heels were hanging off the edge and I did my best to lean back and assume the position to go over the edge.  I pushed myself to get over the edge but again BAILED OUT.  My frustration level increased.

Finally over the edge





At this point, Craig showed incredible patience with me.  As a visual learner, I asked him if he could rearrange the ropes at the top of the rock by securing the rope on a tree that would give me a visual of a straight line.  I was hoping that a straight line visual would help me focus on my center of gravity, maintain my balance and boost my confidence to step over the edge.  I had no idea that it would take Craig close to 15 minutes to rearrange the ropes.  This extra time also delayed our group from arriving at Dornan's where the cold beers awaited us.  Based on Craig's effort and the patience of the group, I had to go over that edge.  With enthusiasm and encouragement from everyone, the third time was the charm and I went over the edge.










Still heading down

























Steps away from solid ground

No comments:

Post a Comment