Triangle X Ranch

Triangle X Ranch
John Butcher riding back to the Triangle X Ranch.

About Me

I fell in love with Jackson Hole when first introduced to the area by the Butcher family. When I decided to spend the summer of '11 out here in JH, a former Pingry athlete, Katie Occhipinti, suggested I blog the adventure. I had no idea what a blog was but Katie O set the whole thing up and got me on my way. Last summer was a tremendous experience. The blog details all the great fun I shared with friends from June '11 - Oct. '11. Even before I left to head back to SRQ, I knew I wanted more of JH. I am now back in JH for "Adventure Summer Round Two!" Many friends have encouraged me to continue the blog this summer ...... so here we go! I arrived to town on June 12th and immediately felt at home. I am looking forward to another summer of hiking, biking and visits from friends. I once again look forward to sharing this experience with all of my friends who have planned to visit me out here. I also look forward to sharing the experience with my friends who follow this blog. Enjoy the pictures and the adventure. Happy summer to everyone!

Monday, July 2, 2012

Heather is visiting Jackson Hole

My friend Heather Shepherd arrived in Jackson last Saturday night.  Heather and I became friends while working together in San Diego at La Jolla Country Day.  She now lives in Salt Lake City where she is the principal at a Charter K - 8 school.  It has been great catching up with Heather and we have enjoyed the Jackson Hole valley playground.

Heather as we prepare to head out on our first ride of her Jackson Hole stay.

Since Heather's arrival, we have headed out on our bikes each day.  On our first ride (Sunday), we left the house and pedaled north to Dornan's and Moose Junction.  As usual, it was a beautiful day and Heather and I had a great time.  

After we enjoyed a good lunch at Dornan's, we headed back to our bikes and saw a site that one probably can only see in Jackson Hole.  As we approached our bikes, we had to pass two horses that we patiently waiting for their riders to also finish their lunch.

Found these guys on our way back to our bikes   

Monday found Heather and I back on our bikes, but this time we headed south into town.  Friends of mine from my Dallas/Greenhill days were in Jackson Hole and Heather and I were scheduled to meet them from lunch.  The weather and outdoor environment of Jackson Hole draws you to physical activity.  So instead of driving to town, we decided to bike the 9 miles to town.

I began my teaching/coaching life at the Greenhill School in Dallas in 1986.  Back in those days, I was teaching PE and coaching 6 different teams and making an astounding 17,000.00.  Needless to say, I needed a few extra jobs to help pay the bills.  During those first few years of teaching and coaching, I supplemented my income by selling concessions at football games, selling cookies at the Galleria and babysitting/housesitting for Greenhill families.  The housesitting jobs were always my favorite.  During those years, I was a regular housesitter for the Small family.  What great times we had.  By teaching, coaching and housesitting Justin, Macey and Meredith Small, a wonderful bond was created.  My time at Greenhill and in Dallas came to an end in 1992 but that does not mean that those relationships ended.

Dr. and Mrs. Small now have a summer home here in Jackson and Meredith and Macey (with her husband and daughter) are here visiting.  It was wonderful meeting for lunch and catching up on things.  They were fabulous then and they are fabulous now.  We had a great afternoon together.

From left to right around the table - the Small Family - Cheri, Neal, Steve (Macey's husband) Meredith, Macey





No comments:

Post a Comment