Triangle X Ranch

Triangle X Ranch
John Butcher riding back to the Triangle X Ranch.

About Me

I fell in love with Jackson Hole when first introduced to the area by the Butcher family. When I decided to spend the summer of '11 out here in JH, a former Pingry athlete, Katie Occhipinti, suggested I blog the adventure. I had no idea what a blog was but Katie O set the whole thing up and got me on my way. Last summer was a tremendous experience. The blog details all the great fun I shared with friends from June '11 - Oct. '11. Even before I left to head back to SRQ, I knew I wanted more of JH. I am now back in JH for "Adventure Summer Round Two!" Many friends have encouraged me to continue the blog this summer ...... so here we go! I arrived to town on June 12th and immediately felt at home. I am looking forward to another summer of hiking, biking and visits from friends. I once again look forward to sharing this experience with all of my friends who have planned to visit me out here. I also look forward to sharing the experience with my friends who follow this blog. Enjoy the pictures and the adventure. Happy summer to everyone!

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Rock Climbing and Rappelling Part I

Rappelling down under Craig's watchful eye .  Third attempt was the charm!

On Friday I found myself learning a few new skills and pushing myself past the point of athletic comfortableness!  Rashawn and I, along with Kevin and Tim Maisch, are scheduled to climb the Grand Teton on July 30 and 31.  This will be a two day climb/hike and will challenge all of us on many levels.  The summit of the Grand Teton is at 13,773 feet and will require us to use ropes and rock climb to reach our goal of the summit.  My friend Craig is an experienced mountain guy who knows all about rock climbing and rappelling.  When he heard that we were going to summit the Grand Teton, he graciously told me he would introduce me to the type of rock climbing I would face on my journey to the summit of the Grand.  Friday was my first introduction to "Craig's Rock Climbing School."

Hiking to the rocks.

Craig assembled a group of fellow enthusiast and beginners like myself.  We met in the Grand Teton National Park at the Cathedral Group trail head.  After a short hike to find the climbing rock, we settled in for some instruction from Craig.  Randy was the first climber and he looked like a pro as he scrambled up the rock.

Craig getting Randy hooked up






Randy starting up












Randy climbing up
I am not sure how I got drafted to climb after Randy, but it was now my turn to find my footing and climb the rock.  Both Craig and Randy offered many useful tips as I made my scramble up the rock.  I did draw a bit of blood on my thigh .... I guess that is good!

Trying to make it to the top
Getting closer to the top
So close





















Inches away and oh so glad I am close
Thrill of victory and great feeling that feet are again on a flat surface


With my heart rate racing, I did make it to the top of the rock.  It felt great to have my feet on the solid surface of the top of the rock.  John was Craig's next student who at first was not that interested in the challenge of climbing up the side of a rock.  Not only is Craig a "master teacher and coach," but he travels with his life sidekick named Carol!  Carol was not interested in scaling the rock herself, but she was a wonderful cheerleader for the group.  I am not sure John would have attempted the rock without Carol's enthusiasm and encouragement.


Carol encouraging all of us to get up the rock!
John almost at top

John starting up





















After John made it to the top, Eric took his turn and had some fun.

Eric enjoying the rock!  Hook'em Horns!
After making sure that all of us safely reached the top of the rock, Craig took his own turn.  I felt like I was watching the Jackson Hole version of Spider-Man in action!  Before anyone could even blink, Craig had reached the top.  I must also tell you that he choose to scale the rock by taking a completely different route than the beginners in the group.  Something I had never thought of before - a rock has many routes of travel to the top!  Now I know!  To quote Oprah, "what I know for sure" is that I am hoping that there is an easy and obvious route up the rock face of the Grand Teton.

The Master begins!

Jackson Hole's version of Spider-Man in action!
Spider-Man continues
After trips up the rock using different routes, I needed to learn and experience rappelling down the rock.  Craig did a wonderful job of explaining the proper technique of rappelling down the rock and had me convinced I could do it.  I intensely listened to and also believed I could do it.  On the top of the rock, Craig secured me into the harness and ropes while Randy assumed the back up safety position at the bottom of the rock.



No comments:

Post a Comment