Triangle X Ranch

Triangle X Ranch
John Butcher riding back to the Triangle X Ranch.

About Me

I fell in love with Jackson Hole when first introduced to the area by the Butcher family. When I decided to spend the summer of '11 out here in JH, a former Pingry athlete, Katie Occhipinti, suggested I blog the adventure. I had no idea what a blog was but Katie O set the whole thing up and got me on my way. Last summer was a tremendous experience. The blog details all the great fun I shared with friends from June '11 - Oct. '11. Even before I left to head back to SRQ, I knew I wanted more of JH. I am now back in JH for "Adventure Summer Round Two!" Many friends have encouraged me to continue the blog this summer ...... so here we go! I arrived to town on June 12th and immediately felt at home. I am looking forward to another summer of hiking, biking and visits from friends. I once again look forward to sharing this experience with all of my friends who have planned to visit me out here. I also look forward to sharing the experience with my friends who follow this blog. Enjoy the pictures and the adventure. Happy summer to everyone!

Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 4th of July! I Hiked in Snow...what did you do?


4th of July view from Ellie's Lookout - elevation about 9200 feet
New friends Bob (79 years old in amazing shape), Carol, me and old friend Kate!
Carol's husband Craig (hike leader) took picture.
Happy 4th of July!  I hope that everyone had a great day today.  I started my day with an amazing and beautiful day hiking in snow to the top of Ellie's Lookout on the Snake River Mountain Range.  A few days ago, I received an email from some new Jackson Hole friends.  They were planning a 4th of July cross country ski/hiking adventure and invited me to go along.  The San Diego girls are still here visiting, so Kate Murphy decided to join the hike.  Kate and I had no idea what to expect.  How do you hike in snow?  How is it possible for Carol and Craig to be on cross country skis and Kate and I to be moving around in hiking boots?  Craig and Carol have lived in the area for many years, so I knew to just trust in them and follow orders!  It was one of my favorite days in Jackson Hole so far.

Start of hike right off the Teton Pass
We arrived at the trail head and watched as Carol, Craig and Bob snapped into their cross country skis.  We had a warm day (by their standards) yesterday, so the snow was melting in some spots and icy in other spots. Craig was a great teacher and quickly told Kate and I how best to hike on the snow.  The beginning of the hike was a slow gradual climb and Kate and I were in awe of the scenery and views.  The hiking started out pretty easy and we enjoyed watching our three cross country skiing companions glide away.


Starting the climb


As we climbed a bit higher and higher, the snow became a bit more icy and holding our footing at times was tricky.  Craig made sure to keep instructing us and prepared us with information in case we fell down.  I now know (because of his instruction and because of falling) that when you fall on the side of a snow/icy mountain, that you roll over on your stomach and dig in with your fingers and toes. Craig's instruction worked great and it was a blast.  I felt like a big kid enjoying the fun.  Kate and I laughed until it hurt!
Beautiful views

Craig and Bob climbing


Old friends having made it to the top!
     
Carol climbing/cross country skiing

When we reached the top of our climb we were at Ellie's Lookout.  It was a very nice view and we enjoyed a rest break, some snacks and some water.  The climb up was more difficult then the walk/SLIDE down.  Kate and I continued to take the advice of the three experienced "locals" and the had us follow behind and step soundly in their tracks.  I must admit to a handful of falls/slides on the way back down the mountain, so of them intentional to enjoy playing in the snow.  I did however make sure to keep my falls very far away from the edge of the mountain!






     









              










The picture of Carol, Craig and Bob skiing down shows you the fun areas where I took advantage of  "falling" so I could do a bit of my own sliding!

No comments:

Post a Comment