Triangle X Ranch

Triangle X Ranch
John Butcher riding back to the Triangle X Ranch.

About Me

I fell in love with Jackson Hole when first introduced to the area by the Butcher family. When I decided to spend the summer of '11 out here in JH, a former Pingry athlete, Katie Occhipinti, suggested I blog the adventure. I had no idea what a blog was but Katie O set the whole thing up and got me on my way. Last summer was a tremendous experience. The blog details all the great fun I shared with friends from June '11 - Oct. '11. Even before I left to head back to SRQ, I knew I wanted more of JH. I am now back in JH for "Adventure Summer Round Two!" Many friends have encouraged me to continue the blog this summer ...... so here we go! I arrived to town on June 12th and immediately felt at home. I am looking forward to another summer of hiking, biking and visits from friends. I once again look forward to sharing this experience with all of my friends who have planned to visit me out here. I also look forward to sharing the experience with my friends who follow this blog. Enjoy the pictures and the adventure. Happy summer to everyone!

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Nine Mile Hike to the summit of Munger Mountain. Vicky and Kevin finally make it to town!

 


What a day I had here in Jackson Hole!  Sadly, Betsey and Dick had to fly back to Sarasota after enjoying a few days out west.  I was also up early to join Craig and Carol for another great day of hiking.  We set out early for a 9 mile hike to the summit of Munger Mountain.  Katherine Estes, if you are reading this, you would have loved this hike.  We were able to hike all the way to the summit because the remaining snow from the winter had melted.  The climb to the summit was intense and there were many times we could not find the trail and had to "bushwhack."  To "bushwhack" means to walk through whatever is standing in front of you.  At times we were forcing our way through vegetation that stood as high as my hips.  This is not an ideal way to hike, but we eventually found our way back to the trail.  Even while "bushwhacking",  we were surrounded by beautiful views.













The nine mile hike took five and a half hours, which included a 30 minute break for lunch at the top of the mountain.  The hike was definitely a workout.  I burned 1937 calories and that means it was a good day.  Craig is a wonderful hiking leader and put all of us through our paces.  Due to the warm weather (they think it is warm when it is 78 degrees and no humidity) and up hill climbs, it was very important to stop and drink water often.  There were 5 of us on the hike and it was fun meeting Craig and Carol's friends.  I met Lisa who has a home in Teton Village and travels here often from her primary residence in Washington DC.  Lisa brought along her dog Beta, who was filled with enthusiasm to be out in the mountains on such a beautiful day.  A full time resident named Liz also joined us.  Liz is an experienced hiker who works in Teton Village.

Lisa making sure Beta gets enough water
As a result of the snow having finally melted, all types of flowers are in bloom.  Not good for my allergies but make for an interesting hike.  There were beautiful flowers every where along the entire hike and Carol had all the info to introduce us to each type of flower.  I can now tell all of you that the state flower of Wyoming is named Indian Paint Brush.


Indian Paint Brush - The state flower of Wyoming
















Teaching us about the flowers
Carol and me checking out the flowers
                          
After two and a half hours of hiking up hill, we finally arrived at the summit.  We could see for miles and miles  in every direction and it was quite beautiful.  At the summit, we took the opportunity to sit, relax and enjoy lunch for thirty minutes. It was a really nice place to enjoy lunch.

Having lunch at the summit of Munger Mountain

View from summit

Beta enjoying the view during our lunch break

After enjoying our lunch and taking a bit of a break, it was time to head back down.  Going down hill can be really tough on the knees but with frequent stops we were able to make it.  The down hill segment of the hike was filled with interesting sights.  At one point, we came across the largest ant hill I have seen.  I wanted to step on the giant ant hill just to see what would happen but was afraid I would have been attacked and carried away by millions of ants!

Giant ant hill
On the way down hill











I was so glad to see cows standing up

The hike was just great and I was dog tired by the time I made it back home.  After a few hours of rest and a shower that felt great, I joined Vicky Johnson, her sister Marla and Kevin Maisch for dinner.  Marla has a house here in Jackson Hole and Vicky and Kevin are renting here for the next two months.  They are also getting married out here on August 7th!  All three of them live in Florida and were THRILLED to be out of the heat and humidity.  We had a great dinner at Nora's in Wilson, WY.  I am so glad that Vicky and Kevin are here for the next two months!


Kevin, Vicky, Marla and me - great margaritas!




3 comments:

  1. yes, I would have loved that hike!!! Wish I had been there! And about that stone house in an earlier post, I expect a full description of your meeting whomever lives there, because you WILL knock on that door before your adventure is over! (And who knows, maybe Harrison Ford--or at least his double--will answer the door and sweep you off your feet!) And yes, I AM challenging you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic report and the photos are beautiful !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jo Ann,
    My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
    I was looking for blogs about Wilson to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
    Hope to hear from you soon!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete