Triangle X Ranch

Triangle X Ranch
John Butcher riding back to the Triangle X Ranch.

About Me

I fell in love with Jackson Hole when first introduced to the area by the Butcher family. When I decided to spend the summer of '11 out here in JH, a former Pingry athlete, Katie Occhipinti, suggested I blog the adventure. I had no idea what a blog was but Katie O set the whole thing up and got me on my way. Last summer was a tremendous experience. The blog details all the great fun I shared with friends from June '11 - Oct. '11. Even before I left to head back to SRQ, I knew I wanted more of JH. I am now back in JH for "Adventure Summer Round Two!" Many friends have encouraged me to continue the blog this summer ...... so here we go! I arrived to town on June 12th and immediately felt at home. I am looking forward to another summer of hiking, biking and visits from friends. I once again look forward to sharing this experience with all of my friends who have planned to visit me out here. I also look forward to sharing the experience with my friends who follow this blog. Enjoy the pictures and the adventure. Happy summer to everyone!

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Monday Night Horseback Riding at Linn Canyon Ranch

Monday was a great day with Nancy and Daniel.  We began the day with a nice long workout at Jackson Hole Health and Fitness.  Daniel is an excellent high school golfer and plans to attend Methodist University (Fayetteville, NC) to play golf in the fall of 2012.  He is very interested in nutrition and fitness.  After our time in the gym, Daniel headed out to Jackson Hole Golf and Tennis and practiced at the driving range for a few hours.

Nancy and Daniel at the top of Teton Pass
With all of our fitness and golf practice behind us, we headed to the "headline" activity of the day - horseback riding and dinner at Linn Canyon Ranch.  The Linn Ranch is located in Victor, Idaho which is on the other side of the Teton Pass from Jackson Hole.










Linn Canyon Ranch is a small but lovely ranch that has only been open to guest for the last five years.  They offer single day rides and have a lovely main house for meals.  They do not have guest cabins at this time.  Gene Linn lead our private trail ride and he told me that they currently have plans drawn up for guest cabins and hope to start building soon.  Most of their business comes from weddings and parties that they host in the main house and on the grounds.  The main house would be a great place for a party.

Main house of Linn Canyon Ranch


Porch of main house














Daniel, Nancy and I had reserved an hour long trail ride followed by dinner.  Gene Linn was our trail leader and it was very interesting hearing about his family's history in the area (his grandparents bought the ranch in the 1920's) and the plans that he and his brother have for the ranch.  The horseback riding was enjoyable, but I am spoiled with the riding at the Triangle X and as nice as Gene was, the trails can not compare to those at the Triangle X.  Only ranch guest and employees of the Triangle X can ride at the Triangle X, so I could not arrange riding for Nancy and Daniel at the Triangle X.

Nancy getting ready for the trail ride
Nancy, Daniel and me enjoying the horses











After our trail ride we enjoyed relaxing around the main house as we waited for dinner to be served.  Appetizers and drinks were served on the porch.  Linn Canyon Ranch allows for dinner only reservations, so at dinner there was a mix of trail riders and dinner only guest.  The dinning room of the main house was lovely and the meal was very yummy.  We had a choice of filet mignon, lamb or salmon. All of us enjoyed the entire meal.  The apple tart and ice cream they served for desert might have been the best I have ever tasted!

Hanging with Cedar while waiting for dinner


Gene Linn's dog Greta














Appetizers on the porch
Great filet and a beautiful table

A wonderful evening at Linn Canyon Ranch


1 comment: