Triangle X Ranch

Triangle X Ranch
John Butcher riding back to the Triangle X Ranch.

About Me

I fell in love with Jackson Hole when first introduced to the area by the Butcher family. When I decided to spend the summer of '11 out here in JH, a former Pingry athlete, Katie Occhipinti, suggested I blog the adventure. I had no idea what a blog was but Katie O set the whole thing up and got me on my way. Last summer was a tremendous experience. The blog details all the great fun I shared with friends from June '11 - Oct. '11. Even before I left to head back to SRQ, I knew I wanted more of JH. I am now back in JH for "Adventure Summer Round Two!" Many friends have encouraged me to continue the blog this summer ...... so here we go! I arrived to town on June 12th and immediately felt at home. I am looking forward to another summer of hiking, biking and visits from friends. I once again look forward to sharing this experience with all of my friends who have planned to visit me out here. I also look forward to sharing the experience with my friends who follow this blog. Enjoy the pictures and the adventure. Happy summer to everyone!

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Sunshine, Hiking, Beer = EXHAUSTION !

What a day we had.  We headed to Teton Village to do a bit of hiking.  We wanted to take the tram ride up to the top and hike around in that area.  We were informed that the hiking above the tram (10,600 feet elevation) was closed because it still had to much snow.  Our options were to take the tram up and hike back down, or to hike the Summit Trail ( 7.2 miles) up to the top of the tram station and ride back down.  It was a beautiful day so we decided to hike the Summit Trail.  Before starting up the trail we decided to buy a few provisions for the journey.  We met a nice family from Valley Springs, CA and made sure the son (Trace) made it into our first picture of the day!

The group + Trace from Spring Valley, CA

We kept watch but never saw the bear!
With our day packs loaded with water, snacks and layers of clothes, we headed to the trail!

Judy, Kate and Olivia at the start of the 7.2 mile trail











Judy, Olivia and Kate making their way up the trail



In our enthusiasm and excitement, none of the 5 of us gave any thought that we would be hiking from an elevation of 6311 feet to a peak elevation of 10,600 feet.  Off we went on a beautiful walk!  Stopping every now and then to take a few photos.

Erin, Jo Ann, Kate, Judy and Olivia
After the first two miles, the change in elevation started to really kick in and kick our butts just a bit.  Kate and Judy made a wise decision to turn around and walk back down to the tram.   They would meet the rest of us at the top, but they would ride the tram up to enjoy the view.  Erin, Olivia and I continued onward and upward!  This was no easy climb for any of us, but the views were terrific.

The higher we climbed, the more snow we encountered.  It was such a beautiful day and the temperature was about 75 degrees with not a drop of humidity.  When we climbed higher, encountered more snow and the wind picked up, a coolness would come over us as we hiked past large walls of snow.  Being a Floridian, I just had to take the time to stop and make a snow ball!  A snow ball in July.....go figure!


Snowball in July!



















I was having a great time and can not even describe the beauty around me.  All was great with the hike and then we hit the last two mile stretch.  WOW....the last two miles felt like we were walking straight up the side of a mountain and the elevation was intense.  My high hamstrings were also screaming at me that they had had enough of this craziness, but onward and upward we had to press.  After 3 hours and 30 minutes, we reached the top and the tram station.  We had climbed a 7.2 mile trail that took us from 6311 feet to 10,600 feet.  I was beat and ready to rest.  The tram ride down was a much appreciated form of transportation.

View from the top - elevation 10,600 feet


We did spend a bit of time at the top, enjoying the view and catching our breath.  I saw a guy with a Tampa Bay Rays baseball hat and began a conversation with he and his wife.  Turns out they are from Bradenton and he is the new football coach at St. Stephen's.  He was recently an assistant coach at Georgetown and knew Pingry because we were part of his recruiting territory.  Just another small world encounter for me!

The 7.2 mile climb burned 1363 calories ( I wore my heat rate monitor) and I was in search of a beer.  We rode the tram back down to Teton Village and quickly found a little outside cafe with ice cold beer.  Life continued to be great.

Enjoying the sunshine and a well earned beer!
It did not take us long before we had made friends with a family visiting from Idaho.  We were having such a great time enjoying the sunshine, views, beer and our new friends, that we ended up at the outdoor cafe for 3 lovely hours before we headed home.
Judy, Olivia and our new friends from Idaho
Olivia with our Idaho friend


Once home, we grilled up some steaks and some corn and had a great dinner.  EXHAUSTED but with the makings of some great smores, we made a fire in the fire pit on the back deck and enjoyed relaxing as the sun set over the Tetons.









Roasting the marshmallows for the smores











Kate caught with a giant marshmallow
Tomorrow we are off for paragliding and mountain biking!







2 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome Jo! You def. burned your calories ha ha:-)! I wonder how you will bike ride today. Sounds and looks incredible! Enjoying life! Oh and yes, Tim loved the stickers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was an over the top (literally!) hike! At least you got a free tram ride down! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete