Triangle X Ranch

Triangle X Ranch
John Butcher riding back to the Triangle X Ranch.

About Me

I fell in love with Jackson Hole when first introduced to the area by the Butcher family. When I decided to spend the summer of '11 out here in JH, a former Pingry athlete, Katie Occhipinti, suggested I blog the adventure. I had no idea what a blog was but Katie O set the whole thing up and got me on my way. Last summer was a tremendous experience. The blog details all the great fun I shared with friends from June '11 - Oct. '11. Even before I left to head back to SRQ, I knew I wanted more of JH. I am now back in JH for "Adventure Summer Round Two!" Many friends have encouraged me to continue the blog this summer ...... so here we go! I arrived to town on June 12th and immediately felt at home. I am looking forward to another summer of hiking, biking and visits from friends. I once again look forward to sharing this experience with all of my friends who have planned to visit me out here. I also look forward to sharing the experience with my friends who follow this blog. Enjoy the pictures and the adventure. Happy summer to everyone!

Saturday, July 23, 2011

A Saturday of Sunshine, Tennis and Elk

What a beautiful Saturday morning I have had.  I headed over to Teton Pines for open play doubles at 9:30am and the sun was simply beautiful.  Vicky and Kevin (friends from Sarasota who are renting in JH for the next two months) joined the group and loved the weather for their first game of tennis with no Florida heat and humidity.

Vicky in action with no sweat!
I met a new player today named Ruthie Redmond.  She was a very good player and I enjoyed having her as my doubles partner.  During one game, we fell behind 30 to 40 and I said (out of habit) "we are ok, one point to deuce."  After the set, Ruthie told me that when I made the comment "one point to deuce", that I sounded just like someone she plays tennis with in Arizona who moved there from Florida.  I said "could you be talking about Alli Cunningham?"  The crazy part of the story is that she was talking about Alli Cunningham and asked me if I knew Alli.  Six degrees of separation again.  Ruthie and Alli played on a team with each other at some point this year and I played on a team with Alli in Sarasota before she moved.  Alli, I hope you are reading this!

Vicky, me and Ruthie Redmond

After tennis and a few errands in town (bought some bear spray for the first time ever) I headed back home to spend and hour cutting half of the front yard.  When I pulled onto my long driveway to the house, I could tell the cutting of the front yard was going to have to wait for just a bit.  A herd of elk were enjoying their afternoon on the front yard and did not seem to mind me pulling in at all.  The males seemed to occupy the front yard (huge antlers) and the ladies were enjoying the natural grasses and flowers of the back yard.  I was happy to put off the cutting of the grass and enjoy some lunch as I watched them from my windows.  I just gotta say that it is really cool to have the wildlife all around you.  You just never know what might come strolling through your yard at any given time.  I love it.

The male elk enjoying front yard

Male elk in front yard










Lady elk enjoying back yard

Young female elk in back yard




















I have now been home for about an hour and most of the elk have continued on their way.  This means I now have to get some of the front yard cut...boo!  As I write this, I still have one female elk who has decided to break away from the herd and hang in the shade of the guest house in my back yard.  She knows that I am looking at her and did not move a muscle when I opened the back door onto the deck to take her picture.  I hate to disturb her enjoyable afternoon, but Nancy and Daniel arrive this evening from VA and I have to finish cutting the front yard.  Maybe my movement in the front yard won't bother her and she will hang around a while.

Female elk enjoying shade in back yard

Tonight I am having dinner with Vicky, Kevin and Marla (Vicky's sister).  We are having dinner at the Jenny Lake Lodge.  I wonder what adventure our dinner experience will bring us.  I will have my camera and update the blog as soon as I can.   Nancy Schulte and her son Daniel will be arriving just as we finish dinner and I look forward to spending the upcoming week with the two of them.





No comments:

Post a Comment