Triangle X Ranch

Triangle X Ranch
John Butcher riding back to the Triangle X Ranch.

About Me

I fell in love with Jackson Hole when first introduced to the area by the Butcher family. When I decided to spend the summer of '11 out here in JH, a former Pingry athlete, Katie Occhipinti, suggested I blog the adventure. I had no idea what a blog was but Katie O set the whole thing up and got me on my way. Last summer was a tremendous experience. The blog details all the great fun I shared with friends from June '11 - Oct. '11. Even before I left to head back to SRQ, I knew I wanted more of JH. I am now back in JH for "Adventure Summer Round Two!" Many friends have encouraged me to continue the blog this summer ...... so here we go! I arrived to town on June 12th and immediately felt at home. I am looking forward to another summer of hiking, biking and visits from friends. I once again look forward to sharing this experience with all of my friends who have planned to visit me out here. I also look forward to sharing the experience with my friends who follow this blog. Enjoy the pictures and the adventure. Happy summer to everyone!

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Jenny Lake Hike in Grand Teton National Park

The "New" Blackberry
With Elaine, Mary Ellen, Ranait and Sara in town, it was time to explore and hike Jenny Lake in the Grand Teton National Park.  Last Friday, August 19th, I managed to trade another office worker for a day off.  Mary Ellen and Ranait were only scheduled to be in town for a few days, so I wanted to maximize my time with them.  The day started off with a beautiful sunrise.  I had been sleeping on the sofa and woke up to beautiful colors in the sky.  With a house full of sleeping guests, I did not want to move around to much and create noise, so I just hung out on the sofa and enjoyed the view.  Once the others started moving around I jumped off the sofa and began the day.  I never expected the problem that would soon rear its' ugly head - I dropped my blackberry in the toilet - just imagine my shock when this happened!  With no blackberry, I had no Internet connection to up date the blog.  Jackson Hole is a small place, so small that they have no Sprint store.  Tough to replace a Sprint blackberry when the closest Sprint store is over 90 miles away.  It took a team effort, but a replacement blackberry finally arrived late Monday night.  With the new blackberry providing Internet connection, the blog can now resume !

Jenny Lake in Grand Teton National Park

It was a beautiful day for another great hike.  The group headed out to explore the Jenny Lake Trail.

Ranait, Sara, Mary Ellen and Me







Elaine, Ranait and Mary Ellen















Crazy things we ran into









The Jenny Lake Trail is just over 3 miles to walk half the lake.  At the end of the 3 miles, you can turn up and climb to Inspiration Point or continue on the trail until you reach the boat dock.  At the boat dock, you can board the boat for a quick ride back across the lake to the Jenny Lake entrance.



Meeting Captain Jack at the boat dock !




Enjoying the view













On the boat dock clowning around for Captain Jack !

After walking half the Jenny Lake Trail and taking a nice boat ride back to the entrance of the park, we were ready to dig into the picnic lunch that we had packed earlier.  With outstanding weather, beautiful views and great friends, how could lunch be anything but spectacular!

Lunch view


Lunch view















Mary Ellen, Sara, Elaine and Ranait enjoying our picnic
Beautiful Lunch View

We had a great day at Jenny Lake.  At the time I could not have imagined how it could have been better ..... and then we started the drive back to the house.  On the drive back to the house, we saw a big moose enjoying a "dip" in the Snake River !

Mr. Moose enjoying a cooling off dip in the Snake River

After cleaning up and resting a bit at the house, it was time to extend the adventure and head to town for dinner.  We had reservations at a restaurant named 43 North which is located at the base of the in town ski resort Snow King.  The restaurant had a lovely outdoor deck where our table was located and we enjoyed the views.  The food was good.  The conversation included much laughter.  The service was horrible ...... I guess two out of three is not so bad.

Elaine, Mary Ellen, Sara and Ranait enjoying 43 North



View of a ski run at Snow King













Kickball game taking place across from the restaurant















The Pingry connection at 43 North

No comments:

Post a Comment